Hey Short Listers! A ancestral new Congress convened today, but you’re still stranded with the same Short List editors as yesterday. Mabinty Quarshie and Mary Bowerman are here to pierce you the most engaging news of the day.
New Democratic House tells Trump: It’s a new day around here
Democrats took the House back as the 116th Congress convened Thursday. And the new freshman and comparison Democrats comparison are wasting no time articulate about what’s next. Here’s a look at what sets the new Congress apart, and what members plan to do in 2019:
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi skeleton to go to conflict with President Donald Trump: Pelosi, who took the gavel as House speaker Thursday, pronounced she has a washing list of equipment she wants to residence with the president. From immigration to Trump’s taxation returns, she says the boss can expect a “different world” from the first two years of his presidency when the GOP tranquil both chambers of Congress.
- Look closely: This Congress is different than ever before: Several beginner Congress members made history with their victories in the midterms, recording poignant “firsts” for minorities and women in American politics. Among the ancestral accomplishments: the youngest lady to be inaugurated to Congress, and the first Palestinian-American lady inaugurated to the House.
- Democrats have big skeleton to change the House through new rules: From permitting headscarves to be ragged on the House building to worse ethics rules, things are going to look a little different in the House in 2019.
A illness that killed Amish babies might offer a glance into destiny medicine
In insular Amish communities, children are mostly the victims of biological chance, pang from singular genetic conditions that branch from interwoven family trees. Surprisingly, the form of caring medically formidable Amish children accept is expected the destiny of medicine for the wider population. In Delaware, the Millers have had 3 children die of a singular commotion that doctors at one time didn’t have a name for. Nothing doctors attempted could save John David or Carolyn or Martha Ann Miller. But can they save cousin Grace?
- Shutdown update: It’s day 13, and there’s no end in sight. Even Sen. Lindsey Graham wants President Donald Trump to hang to his guns in the fight over appropriation for the limit wall
- Madonna gets body-shamed after a new print went viral this week
- Cord cutters aren’t going anywhere in 2019 as streaming services continue to dominate
A first: China lands on the ‘dark’ side of the moon
China landed on the distant side of the moon Thursday, “a first for amiability and an considerable accomplishment,” as NASA director Jim Bridenstine tweeted. So what does it look like? A photo taken at 11:40 a.m. by China’s Chang’e 4 booster shows a small void and a empty surface — not so dim after all. The distant side features more craters, some of which are the size of small countries, space.com noted. The pierce aims to uncover off China’s flourishing space ambitions to the U.S. and Russia, but the Chinese might get some food out of it, too: The qualification carried 6 live class from Earth, including potatoes with skeleton to form a mini-biosphere.
And the Golden Globe goes to …
Move over holiday season, it’s time to give out the changed metal. The 76th annual Golden Globes uncover front this Sunday. The rite is the first vital esteem of endowment season, heading up to February’s Academy Awards. Andy Samberg and Sandra Oh had such a good time as presenters at September’s Emmy ceremony that they’re hosting the Globes. If you’re wondering because you should balance in we lay out 5 big reasons. Hint: Everyone’s got skin in this game. Who will win and who should win? USA TODAY predicts in the tip movie categories.
This essay creatively seemed on USA TODAY: Nancy’s back, back again
Article source: https://news.yahoo.com/nancy-apos-back-back-again-225109602.html