Cinco de Mayo mostly means a lot of high calorie margaritas, nachos and burritos, but one Chef says Mexican food can indeed assistance you mislay weight. Fox News’ Laura Ingle joins Chef Maru Davila in the kitchen to showcase healthy Mexican dishes from her book “The Mexican Food Diet.”
Mexican food has turn one of the world’s favorite foods, and it’s easy to see why: It’s delicious, satisfying, sparkling and affordable. However, some people might perspective Mexican food as fattening or unhealthy; we suspicion the same thing, and during my 30 years of struggling with my weight, we avoided Mexican food.
The law is that when you know how to ready healthy Mexican food, you will have found the giveaway and tasty way to say weight, and even eat a offset diet while blazing fat, convalescent your ardour and assisting to forestall diseases.
I was innate and lifted in Mexico City until we emigrated to the United States to attend Harvard Business School, graduating with an MBA.
I always had a bustling life with no time to take caring of my health. When we was stressed, we ate diseased food, and lots of it. The subsequent day, we would eat zero or very little until we could not conflict my cravings for sugarine and diseased foods.
For 30 years my weight was up, down, up, down, until diets stopped operative and we found myself 60 pounds overweight. we also suffered from basin and health issues that no alloy could assistance me overcome. One day, we decided to go back to propagandize to learn how to eat to get healthy, mislay weight and feel good again.
I was very vehement to learn that healthy Mexican food, the kind we grew up with, was the best way overcome the two things that were gripping me fat, ill and sad: my wild cravings for diseased food and the many disastrous effects of all those years of diseased eating.
With this absolute find in hand, we began essay my book, “The Mexican Food Diet.” we wanted to assistance people who wanted to mislay weight or feel healthier but feeling hungry, deprived or wearied with tasteless foods. This book is the ideal example of what we learn today in my programs: healthy eating that feels like cheating™.
The Mexican Food Diet™ has two primary objectives. The first idea is to reinstate cravings for diseased dishes with cravings for delicious, healthful and gratifying foods. The second idea is to give the physique the nutrients it needs to quarrel inflammation and keep people healthy and happy.
Our featured Cinco de Mayo feast was combined for maximized detoxification and giveaway weight loss.
Margarita Detox Shooters
Think of this as a healthier chronicle of the normal Margarita which uses a lot of sugarine in the form of syrups and mixes. In my version, we use 1.5 ounces of tequila and brew in 3 ounces uninformed lemon juice, 3 ounces of uninformed orange juice, 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and 1 jalapeño (take out the seeds and the vein). My shooters are also installed with vitamin C from the lemon and orange juices (25 percent of your daily mandate in 1 shooter) and antioxidants to boost the defence system and get healthier, younger-looking skin. we made them even healthier by adding chia seeds to yield fiber and protein. This Mexican grown seed also helps revoke the impact on blood sugarine and insulin, which can forestall fat benefit and disease.
- 3 ounces uninformed lemon juice
- 3 ounces uninformed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon organic chia seeds
- 1.5 ounces tequila
- ¼ teaspoon potion stevia
- 1 jalapeño, but seeds or veins
- Sea salt for the potion rim
- 1 uninformed lemon half
- Jalapeño slices for garnish
- Add first 6 reduction to a blender and brew on high speed.
- Pour some sea salt on a plate. Use a lemon half to dampen the rims of the shooter glasses, then drop the rims in sea salt.
- Pour the blended brew on the shooter glasses. Decorate with a cut of jalapeño and offer cold.
Detox Blueberry Mole
Our categorical plate is a tasty nutritive powerhouse. Each portion provides poignant amounts of 14 vitamins and minerals that are essential for optimal health and weight loss. My mole salsa can be a plate on the own. It has healthy protein and fats (almonds and pecans), healthy carbs and spices with detox and anti-inflammatory appetite (blueberries, prohibited peppers, tomatoes, garlic, onion, cinnamon), as well as high levels of fiber from the veggies and nuts. Eating offset dishes like this one helps you keep blood sugarine and insulin at healthy levels, which will assistance you with appetite, weight loss, ardour and mood.
I span it with organic, pasture-raised chicken, but it would also be tasty on fish, beef or a brew of roasted veggies.
- 2 ancho chiles, dry
- 1 guajillo chile, dry
- ½ of a middle onion, cut into vast chunks
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tomato, organic
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- 3 ounces blueberries
- 1/3 crater duck or unfeeling batch (organic, reduced sodium)
- 1 unit tender pecans
- 1 ounce tender almonds
- 1 clove
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 ounces water
- 1 unit additional pure olive oil
- 6 ounces duck or unfeeling stock (organic, reduced sodium)
- 1 bruise duck thighs or duck legs with thighs (organic, giveaway range)
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F.
- Wash the chiles and mislay the seeds and veins. Soak the chiles in H2O while you magnitude the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat a vast vessel over medium-high heat. Roast the chiles, onion, garlic, tomatoes and cinnamon sticks. Turn them around creation sure they are well roasted on all sides (not burnt).
- Heat a small salsa vessel over middle feverishness with the blueberries and the first 1/3-cup of duck or unfeeling stock. Bring it to a boil and then revoke feverishness to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Place the roasted reduction in a blender. Add the pecans, almonds, clove, sea salt and water. Add ½ crater of the blueberry-stock mixture. Blend all reduction in the blender on high speed for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Heat a vast salsa vessel over middle heat. When hot, supplement the olive oil and the blended ingredients. Bring to a boil and then revoke feverishness to simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the second chicken or unfeeling batch and the remaining blueberry sauce. Bring to a prepare and prepare for 20 minutes.
- Pour all the reduction into the blender and brew on high speed until smooth.
- Place the duck thighs on an oven tray and cover with the mole. Cook until the inner feverishness reaches 165 F. Serve the duck with additional mole on tip and ornament with almonds.
Mexican-Style Cauliflower Rice
I made my rice with cauliflower instead of normal rice. One portion of rice made with cauliflower has 100 calories, 9 grams of healthy carbs, 7 grams of fiber and high amounts of a accumulation of vitamins and minerals. The same plate made with white rice has 350 calories, 47 grams of carbs, 1 gram of fiber, and very low healthful content.
- ½ cauliflower, large
- 1 serrano chile
- ½ onion, small
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon additional pure olive oil
- 2 tablespoons uninformed cilantro
- 1 tomato, large
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Dash of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Chop the cauliflower into florets and put in the food processor or blender. Pulse until the pieces are the size and figure of rice. Set aside.
- Take the seeds out of the chile, then clout and set aside.
- Chop onion, garlic, cilantro and tomato.
- Heat a medium-sized vessel over middle heat. When hot, supplement the olive oil, onion and chile. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the cauliflower and stir. Add the salt, pepper, cumin and paprika. Stir and combine, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, cilantro and tomato. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Guacamole Ice Cream
We finish our plate with a tasty honeyed guacamole ice cream that will prove the honeyed tooth while blazing fat and powering up your brain, ardour and altogether health. we remade my famous guacamole recipe into a dessert by using honeyed healthy reduction while gripping the guacamole look. My ice cream has only 160 calories and 1.5 grams of sugarine (all from whole healthful foods), compared to a unchanging ice cream which has at slightest 250 calories and 20 grams of sugarine (most from combined sugars and syrups). we use avocado and coconut divert as the bottom instead of the unchanging divert and cream used in normal ice creams.
- 1½ avocados
- 1 tablespoon uninformed lemon juice
- 1 can coconut milk, full fat
- 2-3 teaspoons of potion stevia
- ½ crater strawberries, organic, chopped in small cubes
- 2 tablespoons coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons of uninformed mint, chopped
- 1 unit tender cashews, chopped
- Place a can of coconut divert in the fridge overnight.
- Place the avocado in a food processor. Add lemon extract and brew until well-spoken and creamy.
- Open the coconut divert can and, using a spoon, take out the coconut cream, withdrawal behind the coconut water.
- Using an electronic mixer, whip the coconut cream in a play until it’s the coherence of a churned cream. Add the blended avocado and stevia. Incorporate well.
- Put the ice cream in a freezer-safe plate and solidify for at slightest 4 hours.
- Remove from freezer and ladle out into small bowls. If too hard to ladle out, leave at room feverishness for a few minutes.
- Mix some strawberries, coconut flakes, packet and cashews into each small bowl.
- Garnish with some strawberries and uninformed mint.
Maru Dávila is a approved unifying nutritionist, weight detriment expert, healthy cook and author of the bestselling book The Mexican Food Diet: Healthy Eating that Feels Like Cheating.” Maru struggled with her weight for 30 years, eating disorders, basin and other health issues. Maru detected that the one thing she’d feared and fought with her whole life was the one thing that could save her. For more information on Maru and her association go to http://www.TheMexicanFoodDiet.com/